First, check if the device is powered on, otherwise the SMS will be buffered in the Short Message Service Center (SMSC) until the device becomes reachable again.
All tele-service, are controlled through the EMnify User Interface (EUI) or API. Check if SMS services are enabled on the Service profile, assigned to the endpoint:
- SMS MT is enabled in the "Basic Configuration" tab
- P2P (SMS sent from a device is a P2P SMS – the sender is a device) is enabled in the “SMS” tab
- Allow "External SMS" if you wish to receive SMS on your device, which is sent from an external device (device that doesn’t have an EMnify SIM). The MSISDN of the EMnify SIM serves as the destination address.
- If you are sending SMS using the SMS Console (SMS sent via the console is an A2P SMS - the sender is an application), which is available in the “SMS” tab upon viewing an endpoint, do not forget to:
- Do not leave the field "Source Address" blank - a short numerical code is sufficient (e.g. 12345)
- the device will be able to reply to this address
Example 1 - A2P SMS to your device: If you wish to send an A2P SMS to your device via the SMS Console, the Source Address that you input acts as a phone number, a unique source of the SMS, to which the device can then send a reply.
Example 2 - P2P SMS to your device: If you wish to send a P2P to your device from another device, the MSISDN of the EMnify SIM acts as a phone number (a destination address) to which you can send the SMS from the other device. If the other device (the SMS sender) does not have an EMnify SIM, then “External SMS” should be enabled on the Service profile, assigned to the endpoint (the SMS receiver).
If everything checks out and your device still cannot receive SMS, please contact our support team.