USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) allows a real-time connection during a session (unlike SMS). The connection is left open on demand, supporting a two-way exchange of data between the device and an application without the need for data connection. EMnify allows you to maintain USSD dialogs, either mobile or network-initiated.
To set it up you first need to configure the following on the EMnify User Interface (EUI):
- USSD service is enabled by default on the Service Profile, assigned to your endpoints, for which you desire to establish an USSD dialog
- An API Callback URL to establish the connection to your server needs to be set in the Service Profile configuration (this is where any USSD messages sent from the device will be forwarded to by EMnify's USSD Gateway
- You can set the API URL on the "SMS" tab (within the Service Profile configuration) - select "RestAPI" on the drop-down menu for “Interface”
- Select the “configuration icon” next to “RestAPI”, input a purpose (name of your choosing) and the URL
- (Optional) You can set up a "Secret" to ensure authentication of any USSD requests
Some USSD specs:
- Message maximum size is 160 bytes:
- 182 characters with GSM 7bit encoding
- 80 characters with UCS2 encoding
- USSD codes in the form of *xxx#
- The range 100-109 is preconfigured by default, so your endpoint can address different applications on your server
More information available on GitHub in our USSD Integration Guide.