USSD Integration Guide
Please visit our Developer Hub to access the USSD integration guide
To set it up you first need to configure the following on the EMnify User Interface (EUI):
- USSD service is enabled by default on the Service Profile, assigned to your endpoints, for which you desire to establish an USSD dialog
- An API Callback URL to establish the connection to your server needs to be set in the Service Profile configuration (this is where any USSD messages sent from the device will be forwarded to by EMnify's USSD Gateway
- You can set the API URL on the "SMS" tab (within the Service Profile configuration) - select "RestAPI" on the drop-down menu for “Interface”
- Select the “configuration icon” next to “RestAPI”, input a purpose (name of your choosing) and the URL
- Note that the option "secret" will not be taken into account for USSD. It will only be taken into account for SMS MO.
Some USSD specs:
- Message maximum size is 160 bytes:
- 182 characters with GSM 7bit encoding
- 80 characters with UCS2 encoding
- USSD codes in the form of *xxx#
- The range 100-109 is preconfigured by default, so your endpoint can address different applications on your server
Maximum number of Characters for a USSD message
The maximum size of a USSD message is 160 bytes. For GSM 7 Bit encoded messages this results in a limit of 182 characters. If you choose UCS2 encoding your USSD message can have a maximum of 80 characters.
The effective and maximum payload that EMnify guarantees to deliver for a USSD message is 144 bytes (164 characters for a GSM 7 bit encoding and 72 characters for UCS2 encoding).
USSD prefixes and protocols supported by EMnify
EMnify USSD services only support prefixes from 100 to 109.
EMnify USSD services support the following protocols: